3.29.2010

Orecchiette with Lemon and Spring Vegetables (and a Pea Hunt)

 
I really, really wanted to make this pasta, as evidenced by the fact that James and I went to THREE markets to find the sugar snap peas this morning. It was one of those silly and exasperating things in life. When the second store didn't have them, I almost threw in the towel. I mean two stores, neither of which had a very common ingredient that they always carry? Hmph. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. But upon further thought, I felt like the universe was asking me, "So Shawn, just how far are you willing to go to get those little peas of yours?", and the idea of heading home defeated was horrible. So I persevered and found my peas. And I am soooo glad I did. This pasta lunch was delicious. Not only was it the perfect way to enjoy some homemade ricotta I made a few days ago, it was also a lesson in not giving up too soon on something you have your mind set on. I know - a bit deep for the middle of a Monday afternoon, but hey...like a lot of things in life, this pasta was worth the effort.

                    14 oz. orecchiette pasta
                    1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed
                    1/2 lb. sugar snap peas, trimmed
                    juice of 1 lemon
                    1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
                    3 tablespoons olive oil
                    1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese (to make you own click here)
                    1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
                    sea salt and cracked black pepper

Cook the pasta in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.

Cook the beans and peas in a saucepan of simmering water for 1-2 minutes. Drain and add to the pasta. Add the lemon juice and zest, oil, ricotta, parsley, salt, and pepper and toss well to combine. 

Makes 2 large or 4 small servings. 

 
                   

Adapted from Donna Hay.

2 comments:

  1. you know what would make this even better? swap the ricotta for feta. looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete