3.28.2010

Cucumber and Radish Salad with Dill

We're enjoying a sunny, warm weekend and springtime has made me feel like lightening things up. This salad is so crisp and refreshing, not to mention beautiful. I've never been big on radishes, but lately they speak my language. Or maybe I'm learning theirs? All of a sudden. Just like that. Radishes, I get you now and I'm so sorry for ignoring you for all of these years. Please accept my offer of friendship.

I have to say, these ingredients worked really well together. For some reason, the dill brings to mind the joy of eating outdoors. It's probably due to all of those times I've eaten potato salad outside on a hot day over the course of my life. In any case, eating this salad reminded me that I really like dill. In fact, I love it. And the lemons. Oh, the lemons. I just can't get enough of lemons at the moment. This recipe calls for feta, and I completely forgot to include it. Shocking, I know. I'll try it next time, but it was so good just like this. I tend to put cheese on anything and everything, so it's probably good for me to leave it out once in a while. As well, I was out of white wine vinegar, so I substituted a seasoned rice vinegar and it worked nicely.

                  1-2 cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
                  2-3 large radishes, thinly sliced
                  zest and juice of 1 lemon
                  2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
                  1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill, plus more sprigs, torn, for garnish
                  coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
                  1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil

Put the cucumber, radish, and lemon zest in a medium bowl.

Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, and dill in another medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified.

Add vinaigrette to cucumber mixture; toss well. Garnish with dill. The salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 hour.

Makes 2 large or 4 small servings.



Adapted from Martha Stewart.

No comments:

Post a Comment