2.26.2010

Late Morning Tartine


With James in one arm, I casually made this stunning snack without any intention of blogging about or photographing it. Then I stood there for a moment, taking in it's beauty and thought it would be criminal not to post this delightful little piece of heaven. I make variations of this all the time...the basic vehicle is a Wasa cracker spread with cream cheese. Then I have a look around and decide what to throw on top. Usually it's avocado sprinkled with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, sometimes it's thinly sliced apples, in which case I opt for brie (instead of cream cheese) and drizzle a little honey over the top. Today, it was dried cherries and mint, inspired by a compelling little recipe I adapted from my newest cookbook, Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes, by Jeanne Kelley. Kelley uses toasted whole grain bread with ricotta, which also sounds fantastic. I am loving her book for many reasons, one of which is the fact that she uses mint everywhere, and I currently have two mint plants on my kitchen sill that look at me auspiciously every time I go near them. (Really, they do!)

          1 Wasa cracker (I like the "Fiber")
          enough whipped cream cheese to spread
          4-6 dried cherries
          4-6 small mint leaves
          honey for drizzling

Simple, lovely, tasty. 


Adapted from Jeanne Kelley, Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment