4.14.2010

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Loaf with Thyme

This is a tasty loaf. So tasty, in fact, I rose from my chair mid-post to cut myself a slice. I think it's the thyme that has me so enamored. Thyme, with it's unassuming nature and perfectly dainty little leaves, is one of my favorite herbs. Even it's name on paper looks lovely.

This bread is made with buttermilk and yogurt (substituted for sour cream), so it's very moist, yet not too dense. Pepper and a tiny bit of garlic compliment the thyme nicely. I've been enjoying it as is, as well as slightly toasted with a little butter. Thinking of trying it with a little melted cheese over the top next before it's all gone. This recipe makes one 8x3" loaf. I doubled it and made 4 mini loaves. I highly recommend this if you like savory breads.
 
                    1 large clove garlic, minced
                    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
                    1 3/4 cups whole wheat white flour
                    2 teaspoons baking powder
                    1 teaspoon salt
                    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
                    1 tablespoon unrefined sugar
                    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
                    1 egg
                    1/4 cup plain yogurt
                    1 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 and butter or spray an 8x3" loaf pan. Put the garlic and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat just long enough to melt the butter. Set aside.

Stir the flour, baing powder, salt, pepper, sugar, and thyme together in a medium bowl. Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk in the yogurt and buttermilk. Pour the egg mixture and garlic butter over the flour mixture and stir just to moisten the dry ingredients; don't worry about a few dry spots in the dough.

Spoon the dough into the prepared pan and place it in the oven. Bake until the top springs back when gently touched in the center, 45-55 minutes. Put the loaf on a cooling rack until just warm. Unmold the loaf and wrap it in plastic. This bread will stay moist and flavorful at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Makes one 8x3" loaf.


Adapted from Mary Cech, Savory Baking.

6 comments:

  1. I just love bread in general...savory, sweet, whatever. I actually have a carton of buttermilk in my fridge right now BEGGING to be used. This is just so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does one need to set the dough aside for it to rise like the usual yeast breads?
    I've faced some issues with yeast breads that sometimes they don't rise enough and its because the yeast was not that active. As a result, the bead is very dense and not much edible (one time)
    I'm also a food blogger at http://thefoodoholic.wordpress.com/ and would really appreciate any help. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The measurement in the recipe call for 1 3/4 tbsp wheat flour. Should it not be 1 3/4 CUP instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Misha! Thanks for the comments. You are absolutely right - it should, of course, be 1 3/4 cups of flour. Have corrected the error. No need to let the dough rise, although I will say that this is a denser and more moist loaf for this reason as well as because of the buttermilk. I think you'll find it quite edible. :) Will be checking out your blog and thanks for the comments again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update Shawn. I tried the recipe and the flavours came out wonderful.

    However, the bread had a very moist interior and seemed a little uncooked even after I baked it for 1.5 hours.

    I wonder if I should be baking this at a higher temperature instead of 350 or use less buttermilk maybe?

    I love the fact that your recipes are health oriented with the wheat flour instead of all purpose.

    ReplyDelete