4.26.2010

Pear, Rocket and Fennel Salad with Blue Cheese

A combination of favorites: cheese, fruit and greens. What a delightfully simple but sophisticated little salad this is. And fennel! Fennel, that odd and quirky bulbous herb/vegetable with feathery leaves and a slightly sweet crunch. Not being one who picks up fennel frequently, I must admit I was rather proud to be waiting in line with my stalks. Fennel is one of those ingredients I always admire longingly. Moreover, if someone is standing next to me with some, I am instantly impressed. I'll assume them to be risk-takers. Creative, confident, and masterful. Members of the Fennel Club.

And it turns out fennel is quite good for you. Feeling bewitched with this element of the salad, I did a little reading up on the stuff. Fennel is chock full of unique phytonutrients with antioxidant and cancer-fighting properties. Not only that, it boasts high levels of vitamin C, fiber, folate, and potassium. If you haven't been one for fresh fennel in the past, I encourage you to give it a go. You might feel pretty cool buying it, too.

                    4 slices crusty bread
                    5 oz. rocket (arugula) leaves
                    1 fennel bulb, sliced
                    2 pears, sliced
                    blue cheese, cut into 4 wedges
                    sherry vinegar, to serve
                    extra virgin olive oil, to serve
                    sea salt and cracked black pepper

Grill or toast the bread until crisp. Arrange on plates with the rocket, fennel, pears, and blue cheese. To serve, drizzle over a little oil and vinegar, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings.


Adapted from Donna Hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment