1.24.2010

Sunday Morning Granola


I have been saving the bag from an amazing granola blend I picked up at my favorite 'bodega' in San Miguel de Allende over a year ago. I see it in the pantry behind a tote container we store snacks in at least twice a week. Originally I had thought to save it so I might try to source the brand online, which I tried to do several months ago with no success as it is made in a city an hour and a half away from where I bought it. But I couldn't bring myself to throw it away. And then yesterday I had the brilliant idea of attempting to duplicate it. And it worked! Splendidly. With a couple of modifications, of course. Why this didn't occur to me sooner, I will never understand. I intentionally used very little honey for sweetening, as I prefer to drizzle it fresh over the top instead. Incidentally, the bowl in the photograph was picked up at the street market on that very trip.

                         2 cups rolled oats
                         1/4 cup almonds, chopped
                         1/4 cup pecans, chopped
                         1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
                         1/4 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut
                         3 tablespoons sesame seeds
                         1/4 cup currants

                         1/4 cup olive oil
                         3 tablespoons honey

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Set aside on large, rimmed baking sheet.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.

Heat the oil and honey over low heat in small saucepan. Whisk to combine well, then add to the oat mixture and stir well with a spatula, making sure all the ingredients are evenly coated.

Spread evenly on the baking sheet in a thin layer and bake for 30 minutes (or until golden brown and nicely toasted), stirring every ten minutes or so. Let cool completely, then store in an air-tight container.

__

P.S. I needed a gift for our neighbors, and this made a beautiful one!

No comments:

Post a Comment